Navigating the Family Caregiver Role in Assisted Living
Families navigating the transition of a loved one into an Assisted Living Community face the responsibility of deciding on the best care option for their loved one. Throughout the care transition journey, caregivers can experience a mix of emotions and doubts that may take time to disappear, which is why having a strong support system and helpful resources can make a great difference.
This episode delves into the heart of a matter that touches the lives of countless families—assisted living and the profound role of family caregivers. We will explore the intricate web of responsibilities, emotions, and decisions that family caregivers grapple with when their loved ones transition into an Assisted Living Community, and we will share stories, challenges, and solutions that form the tapestry of caring connections, no matter the location.
Whether you're a seasoned family caregiver or just beginning to navigate this path, this episode promises to provide valuable insights and guidance to help you thrive in this essential role.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from Alicia Campolito, Senior Care Advisor and Vice President of CarePatrol of Bellevue-Eastside.
Alicia is a Senior Care Advisor and Vice President of CarePatrol of Bellevue-Eastside. She is a seasoned senior living professional with a Master of Science in non-profit administration and a graduate certificate in Life-Span development and Gerontology; her focus of study was Memory Care.
Alicia has a 25-year professional career in relationship management and customer service. Her professional experience in the greater Seattle area is working with loved ones and residents to find a new home in Independent Living, Assisted Living, and Memory Care.
She grew up surrounded by older adults as her mother also worked in senior living. “Many of our family events were at my mother’s community. My mother shared much of our life with the residents, and in turn, they shared their wonderful stories with us. I am very passionate about finding the right home for our older adults. They have given so much, and in turn, I want to help them through their senior living journey.” Alicia and her family live in West Seattle. They have lived here for over ten years and love the beauty of the NW. Alicia loves to hike, cook, travel and spend time with dear friends and family.
- Insights into the vital role of family caregivers and the unique challenges they face when supporting their older adult family members when residing in an assisted living community
- The multifaceted roles that family caregivers assume when it comes to fulfilling the care needs of their loved ones residing in an assisted living community
- Key factors that influence the family caregiving roles and the level of demand, especially when older adults are transitioning to an assisted living community
- Practical tips and strategies that family caregivers can employ to effectively manage their adjusted roles, nurture relationships, and support their loved ones during the care transition
- A client's inspiring journey of successfully navigating the transition to an assisted living community, highlighting the strategies and support that led to a positive outcome
- Valuable resources and tools for both older adults and family caregivers to help them navigate the challenges and uncertainties of aging and assisted living
- Senior Care Options: Assisted Living
- Why is Respite Care Important?
- 10 Tips When Helping Seniors Move Into Senior Housing
- After-Hospital Care for Seniors: What Families Should Know – CarePatrol
- How Assisted Living Protects Your Loved One's Safety & Security – CarePatrol
- 5 Benefits of Assisted Living: What Families May Not Know – CarePatrol
- Just in Time? The Decision to Move to Assisted Living – CarePatrol
- Talking to Mom About Assisted Living – CarePatrol
- National Council on Aging
- Caregiver's Handbook – National Institute on Aging