A Parent's Passing: Lessons Learned from a Daughter and Senior Care Professional
Along the journey of caregiving, one may encounter many paths—some are filled with empathy and growth and others with doubt and guilt. All of these emotions and changes are part of a bigger conversation that, when shared with your loved one, may lead to better care and a better quality of life.
Tune in for a deeper dive into caregiving, including lessons learned along the journey of caring for a loved one, resources to support your loved one’s healthcare and end-of-life wishes and tips to get the conversation started about care needs and important end-of-life decisions.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from Local Senior Care Advisor Kim Seidl.
Kim is Owner and Executive Director of CarePatrol, serving Greater Milwaukee and Southeastern Wisconsin. She is a Certified Placement and Referral Specialist and has been an extensive speaker and contributor on subjects related to senior care. Her background includes being a hospitality industry consultant as well as having owned and operated a four-diamond inn and small restaurant.
Kim has been in senior care since 2007, when she and her husband opened Senior Helpers (a senior home care company) that quickly grew to one of the top in the country. In the last decade, they have been in the field of senior placement and currently own and operate the top office in CarePatrol, a senior care solutions company.
Kim is passionate about empowering seniors and their families as they navigate the often challenging process of finding the safest and most appropriate senior living options. She enjoys listening carefully to all of her client's needs, concerns, and preferences before recommending appropriate levels of care, such as Independent Living, Assisted Senior Housing, Memory Care or In-Home Care. Kim went through the same daunting experience recently when she helped her parents through difficult senior care transitions, including hospice. This experience has given her the passion that she has today to help families!
- Lessons learned while navigating the care journey of a loved one
- Important considerations to have when thinking of end-of-life care wishes or in case of a health emergency of a parent or loved one
- Tips to help start the conversation regarding care wishes with a loved one
- Helpful resources for older adults and caregivers to navigate end-of-life care wishes
- 20 Signs that Your Loved One May Need More Help Rack Card
- Reactions to Caregiving Rack Card
- Depression in Older Adults Rack Card
- Caregiver Burnout Rack Card
- National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization
- National Institute on Aging - Advance Care Planning
- Healthcare POA / Advance Directives - Resources by State (search “YOUR STATE” Advance Directives) In Wisconsin
- The Dementia Directive
- Living Wills and Advance Directives for Medical Decisions - Mayo Clinic
- Estate Planning and Organization - the Next of Kin Box “NOK Box”
- The Conversation Project - National Healthcare Decisions Day
- Five Wishes Advance Care Planning Program