Assisted Living vs. Nursing Homes - What are the Differences?
Along the journey of aging, finding the right care solution can be confusing and overwhelming. Understanding the differences between care settings, including assisted living and nursing homes, can help older adults and caregivers find the right solution to meet their specific needs.
Learn more about assisted living communities and nursing homes, including the different services provided and how such services can benefit the care needs of your loved one.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from Certified Senior Advisor® Becky Bongiovanni.
As the brand president, Becky Bongiovanni oversees the strategic growth of CarePatrol Franchise Systems. She is passionate about helping franchisees run a profitable-purpose-driven business. She co-founded CarePatrol in 2009 and was the chief operating officer in 2011. Under her leadership, CarePatrol has grown to 150 locations across 33 states. Becky, a Certified Senior Advisor® (CSA), has been in the assisted-living placement industry since 2003. Prior to this, Becky worked as an Ophthalmic Technician for practices that specialized in Cataract, Retinal and Glaucoma surgeries for the geriatric population.
- Main differences between an assisted living community and a nursing home
- Types of assisted living communities, the typical services/amenities, average costs and ways to pay for services
- Typical services offered in a nursing home, the average costs associated with care and ways to pay for care
- Tips for caregivers to start the conversation if additional support is needed to meet the care needs of their loved one
- Questions older adults and caregivers should ask their doctor or healthcare professional to better understand the best care solution to meet their needs
- Resources for older adults and caregivers to review when selecting a care solution, whether it is an assisted living community or a nursing home
- Senior Care Options: Assisted Living Flyer
- Finding a Quality Nursing Home Rack Card
- 8 Mistakes that Families Make When Looking for Senior Care Flyer
- 10 Tips When Helping Seniors Move Into Senior Housing Flyer
- Assisted Living Facts and Figures – AHCA/NCAL
- Caregiving Resources – National Institute on Aging