Easing the Transition to Assisted Living
Moving out of the family home and into an assisted living community may not be the easiest of transitions. For older adults who've spent decades living at the same address, relocating can be difficult and stressful. However, there are ways for loved ones to help minimize the stress of the move.
By approaching the transition to assisted living with empathy, effective communication, and support, family members and caregivers can help ease the process and ensure the older adult's well-being and comfort during this important life change.
Gain insights on how to support a loved one during this time.
Click to listen to this episode:
Sandi Wake has been a daughter for over 60 years and a part-time caregiver for the last eight. She has also owned a senior placement service, CarePatrol of Western Michigan, for nearly ten years, and not only has she been in the position to place her own parents into assisted living, but she also has had the experience of assisting 100s of seniors and their families through this process. Sandi is a Certified Senior Advisor® and Certified Referral and Placement Specialist and has received numerous awards from CarePatrol, including the Exemplar award in 2022 and the Excellence in Customer Experience award in 2019 and 2021.
- Steps to prepare for the transition to Assisted Living (e.g., documents needed, pre-move tour to see living space, amenities, etc.)
- Considerations to help personalize the new living space (e.g., meaningful items from their previous home, furniture that can be moved, etc.)
- Tips on intake paperwork (e.g., who signs, what decisions will you need to make, paying for care, etc.)
- Guidance on moving day transitions (e.g., set up the room ahead of time, etc.)
- Tips to ease the emotional transition to the new community once a loved one has moved (e.g., participation in activities, communication with family and friends, etc.)
- Recommended resources for caregivers and family to support a loved one best while moving to a new community
- Additional considerations if the person moving has dementia
- 10 Tips When Helping Seniors Move Into Senior Housing
- Senior Care Options: Assisted Living
- Reactions to Caregiving
- Residential Facilities, Assisted Living, and Nursing Homes – National Institute on Aging
- Moving Into An Assisted Living Residence: Making A Successful Transition – National Institute on Aging
- How to Share Caregiving Responsibilities with Family Members – National Institute on Aging
- Getting Started with Long-Distance Caregiving – National Institute on Aging