Living with Gratitude: The Important Role of Family Caregivers
It is estimated that 44 million Americans provide 37 billion hours of unpaid, “informal” care each year to adult family members and friends with chronic illnesses or conditions that prevent them from handling daily activities such as bathing, managing medications or preparing meals on their own (National Caregiver Alliance).
For caregivers, providing care for an older adult can often present difficult challenges. Stressors associated with caring for an older adult with complex health issues, such as declining physical and/or mental capacity and care-related expenses, can cause a shift in personal life priorities that can be emotionally and physically difficult. Numerous studies have explored how gratitude can positively affect one’s well-being.
Click to listen to this episode:
Listen in as we explore the important role caregivers play and how an 'attitude for gratitude' can make a positive difference. We are joined by Certified Senior Advisor® Shawn Barnes.
Shawn is a Certified Senior Advisor®, President and Owner of CarePatrol of Huntsville/Birmingham/Montgomery. He considers himself blessed to be able to help seniors and their families during a time when many emotional and practical issues must be considered. He listens carefully to all of his client's needs, concerns and preferences before recommending appropriate levels of care, such as Independent Living, Assisted Senior Housing, Memory Care or In-Home Care.
Shawn went through the same overwhelming experience when he helped find care for a loved one in 2011, just prior to starting CarePatrol. Shawn's personal experience gave him the passion that he still has today to help families.
- Who are caregivers?
- Roles that caregivers play in supporting family members' and older adults' care needs
- Factors that impact caregiving roles and demands, especially when caring for an older adult.
- The role of certified senior advisors or senior care advisors in supporting caregivers and older adults, especially during care transitions.
- Steps that caregivers can take to help manage stress and foster a sense of gratitude.
- Helpful resources for older adults and caregivers to learn more about managing stress and living with gratitude.
- Caregiver Burnout Rack Card
- Reactions to Caregiving Rack Card
- Caregiving – CDC Caregiving – National Caregiver Alliance
- 10 Tips for Family Caregivers – Caregiver Action Network