Jumpstart to Downsizing
Research shows that almost 40% of retirees recently moved to another location. And among retirees that made a recent move, 51 percent downsized.
Downsizing and dismantling a home filled with possessions from the past 20, 30 or 40 years can be emotionally difficult, but having a plan and clear path can help keep the memories and make the transition just a little easier.
Hear from a downsizing and cleaning expert about the process of downsizing/decluttering a home and how to jumpstart downsizing efforts, especially for older adults.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from Matt Paxton, a downsizing and cleaning expert, speaker, author, radio personality, and host of the 2-time Emmy nominated television show "Legacy List with Matt Paxton."
Matt Paxton is one of the top downsizing and decluttering experts in the country. He is the host of the two-time Emmy-nominated series Legacy List with Matt Paxton on PBS and was a featured cleaner on the hit television show HOARDERS for 15 seasons. Matt is also the author of the best-selling book, Keep the Memories, Lose the Stuff.
Paxton started cleaning out houses after his father, step-father and both grandfathers died in the same year, and this is the reason Matt has been working with families struggling with hoarding and downsizing for 20 years. Matt appears regularly as a public speaker, television guest, and radio personality, helping families and companies find the upside of downsizing. He lives in Atlanta, GA, with his wife and seven kids. Yes, seven children.
- Matt’s journey to helping individuals and families find the upside to downsizing
- Biggest misconceptions when it comes to the disposition of or decluttering of items
- Top questions raised by individuals going through the downsizing/decluttering process
- Tips to jumpstart downsizing efforts, especially for older adults
- Suggestions for how to start the conversation with family members, including older adults, about downsizing
- Keep the Memories, Lose the Stuff
- My Legacy List
- 10 Tips When Helping Seniors Move Into Senior Housing Flyer
- Ten Tips for Clearing and Downsizing – CarePatrol Blog
- Consider Downsizing for Both Staying In or Moving Out – CarePatrol Blog
- How to Cope With Downsizing Your Home – AARP
- Downsizing a Home: A Checklist for Caregivers – Family Caregiver Alliance