When is the Right Time to Consider Assisted Living?
Life can change in a moment, and determining when to move from home or independent living to an assisted living community can be overwhelming. This difficult situation may be lessened by starting the conversation early and often talking about what’s coming down the road for an aging loved one.
For older adults and their family members and caregivers, being proactive about understanding care changes and additional support will significantly improve their quality of life. An essential first step is having conversations about care wishes and spotting the signs that more support from an assisted living community may be needed.
Tune in for insights about assisted living, including signs that your loved one may need more help and how to start the conversation.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from Paula A. Sotir, BSN, MGA, CADDCT, Certified Senior Advisor ® and owner of CarePatrol Baltimore.
Paula Sotir received her BSN from Duke University and her Master's in General Administration Health Care Track from the University of MD. She has continued to gain knowledge and has become a certified Senior Care Advisor and a Certified Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Care Trainer.
Over the last 40 years, she has worked in all aspects of healthcare, including hospitals, wound care, home IV therapy, and in-home care. Since 2014, she’s been focusing her healthcare knowledge on senior care placement with CarePatrol and is fortunate to help aging adults find assisted living and memory care solutions. Paula is passionate about educating and advocating for seniors during this challenging process of finding the safest senior living option.
- Changes Paula has seen in healthcare in her experience as a Certified Senior Advisor®, especially with seniors
- A real-life example of an urgent situation faced by caregivers where an abrupt change of condition that occurred made it unsafe for their older adult to live independently at home
- Early signs that it may be time to consider additional care support
- Tips for caregivers to proactively start the conversation regarding care and senior living options to meet the care needs of their loved one
- Tips and resources on what information is needed to prepare for this journey
- Resources and individuals who may be able to help jumpstart and support care wishes
- Considerations for determining whether assisted living is an appropriate option to meet care needs as well as financial considerations
- Helpful resources for older adults and caregivers to access when selecting an assisted living community
- 20 Signs Your Loved One May Need More Help
- Senior Care Options: Assisted Living
- Assisted Living vs. In-Home Care for Seniors
- 10 Tips When Helping Seniors Move Into Senior Housing
- Residential Facilities, Assisted Living, and Nursing Homes – National Institute on Aging
- Assisted Living Facts & Figures – AHCA/NCAL
- What Are the Signs That an Aging Parent Needs Help? – National Institute on Aging
- Moving Into An Assisted Living Residence: Making A Successful Transition – National Institute on Aging