Independent Living vs. Assisted Living
Did you know that the number of adults aged 65 years of age or older is expected to double from 49 million to nearly 100 million by 2060 in the U.S.? Currently, more than 800,000 older adults reside in 30,000 assisted living communities, and that number is expected to continue to increase over the next decade. Knowing the differences between senior living options is important when determining the best setting to support independence and living one’s best life.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from Certified Senior Advisor (CSA)® Nicolet Araujo.
Over 30 years of diverse experience in a variety of healthcare settings, exemplified by her most current role as owner of CarePatrol Coastal Orange County franchise. Advocating for and providing safer living options for seniors. Removing barriers and providing solutions to ensure elder loved ones are able to live in an environment where they are treated with respect and dignity. Working with families to identify resources such as VA Aid and Attendance, Medical equipment, In-home support, Reverse Mortgage Lenders, Realtors, Estate Sales.
- Differences between independent living and assisted living
- Types of independent living communities (e.g., Senior Apartments, Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC)) and the typical services and amenities offered
- Average costs for independent living and ways to pay for housing costs and services
- Typical services offered to older adults residing in an assisted living community
- The average cost to reside in an assisted living community, and what are the ways to pay for care
- Tips for caregivers start the conversation if additional support is needed to meet the care needs of their loved one
- Questions that older adults and caregivers ask their doctor or healthcare professional to better understand whether assisted living is an appropriate option to meet care needs
- Helpful resources for older adults and caregivers to access when selecting a community, whether it is an independent living or an assisted living community
- Senior Care Options: Assisted Living
- Assisted Living vs. In-Home Care for Seniors
- 10 Tips When Helping Seniors Move Into Senior Housing
- Assisted Living Facts and Figures (AHCA/NCAL)
- Caregiving resources (National Institute on Aging)