Mental Health & the Older Adult – Series
Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act as we cope with life. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage of life, including as we age.
Many older adults find themselves at risk of developing mental health conditions. However, this does not mean that mental health issues are a normal part of aging. Studies show that most older adults feel satisfied with their lives, even though they may have more illnesses or physical problems.
It is important to recognize and treat mental health disorders in older adults, as these disorders don't just cause mental suffering. They can also make it harder for individuals to manage other health conditions, especially if those health conditions are chronic. Tune in to our latest episode of My Care Advisors to learn more about this topic and obtain resources.
Click to listen to this episode:
Tune in for insights and resources from medical social worker Chuck Bongiovanni.
Chuck Bongiovanni is a Certified Franchise Executive and the founder of CarePatrol Franchise Systems, the largest franchised senior placement company in the nation with over 150 offices. His Social Work background made him the natural pioneer of the senior placement and referral industry for the past 27 years. In his placement agent career, he and his company placed over 100,000 seniors in assisted living and residential homes across the country.
Chuck has been a franchisor for 11 years, and under his leadership, CarePatrol received over 40 franchise industry awards, including the prestigious Franchisee Satisfaction Hall of Fame by the Franchise Business Review and INC. Magazine’s Fastest Growing Privately-Held Company in America.
He is the Past-President of The National Placement and Referral Alliance (NPRAlliance.org), the national trade association for the Referral and Placement Industry.
- Learn about the most common mental health disorders in older adults and warning signs
- Learn about the top risk factors for mental health disorders in older adults
- Gain information for caregivers to be aware of when a loved one is living with a mental health condition
- Learn about resources to support one’s mental well-being
- 20 Signs Your Loved One May Need More Help Rack Card
- Loneliness and Social Isolation — Tips for Staying Connected
- 10 Warning Signs Your Older Family Member May Need Help
- Older Adults and Depression
- Preventing Suicide in Older Adults
- 10 symptoms of caregiver stress
- Tips to manage stress
- Mental Health Resources for caregivers